Educator Open Houses
Winter: Word Play
Friday February 10, 2017
4 - 6 pm
This year, our Educator Open Houses celebrate creative play. How can the Museum become your classroom's creative playground? How can playful exploration lead to serious learning?
Inspired by David Wiesner & the Art of Wordless Storytelling, explore the rich relationship between word and image. From storyboards to illustration, from collaborative storytelling to rhymes and puns, discover how a museum can jumpstart language development and inspire fluency.
At these special events, for teachers only, you can:
- Gather with other teachers and SBMA educators to explore the art on view
- Discover ways of enlivening the classroom using Museum objects as inspiration and teaching tools
- Spend time in the galleries in facilitated discussions with Gallery Instructors
- Try hands-on art, writing, history, and science-related activities to use with students, and preview new lesson plans designed to address Common Core Standards across the curriculum
- Enjoy wine and hors d'oeuvres while you catch up with colleagues in the stimulating company of great works of art!
Participants receive resources to use with their students throughout the year, typically including images from the collection, catalogs, lessons, and suggested Thinking Routines.